Friday, January 28, 2011

Leaving our home away from home

I've decided it doesn't matter how long you stay at the beach, it's always hard to leave.  When we visit in the fall a week never seems to be long enough, but surely a month is plenty of time, right?  Turns out no...the last day is always filled with regrets.
But, a month is a long time in another way.  Our beach condo did feel like home.  I took a 3 day trip to Aiken to visit my family and it was such a strange feeling to return to the beach condo.  It felt like coming back home.  We know this area of Myrtle Beach so well, all together we've spent almost 7 weeks here over the years.
It funny how we have our homes away from home.  It kind of reminds me of the hotel we stay at in Bozeman, Montana - which over the years we've stayed their about 3 weeks. I loved when we returned to Bozeman our second summer and the front desk staff remembered us!  They wanted to know what we had been up to, where we had gone, what our plans were for that year. 
I sometimes forget how fortune I am to return to these beautiful destinations and to have the opportunity to explore new places, but some how when it's time to leave it's hard to remember that - I'm sad that I have to leave...forgetting that most of my friends and family envy that I am at the beach at all.


 But, this time the sadness of leaving the beach is lessened because we're heading south to Florida.  Snowbird...prepare for flight.

No comments: